Who is Eligible?
In order to be considered a Returning Resident, and to benefit from the concession afforded to Returning Residents, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- Be a Jamaican national who has attained the age of 18 years, and who
- has been residing overseas for the last 3 consecutive years, and
- is returning to Jamaica to reside permanently.
- Be a Jamaican student who has attained the age of 18 years and who has studied abroad for more than one year but fewer than 3 consecutive years
- Be a Jamaican student who has attained the age of 18 years and who has studied abroad for more than one year but fewer than 3 consecutive years.
- Be a Non-Jamaican whose spouse is a Jamaican Returning Resident.
- A Deportee who has been residing overseas for the last 3 consecutive years
Note: A couple - husband and wife- will be counted as one family if returned together, and will only get one concession. Spouses not returning together, but within three years of each other, are treated as one family and will also get only one concession.
Returning Residents must visit the Jamaica Customs Agency Returning Residents Unit and submit the following:
- Valid Jamaican Passport or foreign passport that is endorsed with the unconditional landing stamp
- Validated Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
- Taxpayers Registration Number (TRN)
- Documentary evidence that will substantiate residency outside of Jamaica for 3 or more consecutive years.
- Returning Students should present a transcript, student’s I-20, confirmation letter of attendance from last institution of study and identification card issued by the institution
- Deportees should present their Deportation Order and case file.
- A specified amount of personal and household effects can be imported free of customs duty.
- Returning Residents may import their tools of trade free of customs duty
- Returning Students are entitled to import reasonable quantity of used household effects, musical instruments, and one of each type of electronic equipment (new or used)
- Deported persons will receive entitlement similar to that of returning residents.
NB: Qualified applicants can benefit only ONCE from this concession
The Motor Vehicle Importation Policy is primarily administered by the Trade Board Limited, which is responsible for granting Import Licences for motor vehicle importation.
Importation of pets or other animals will require an Import Permit from the Veterinary Services Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture prior to importation.
Importation of plants will require a Permit from the Plant Quarantine Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture.
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
Returning Resident Unit
Jamaica Customs Agency
Myers’ Wharf, Newport East
Telephone: (867) 750 3098 or (876) 750 3005
(876) 922-5140 extensions 2520 to 25
Jamaica Customs Agency
Montego Bay Revenue Service Centre Bldg
18B Howard Cooke Blvd., Montego Bay, St James
Telephone: 952-0000 extension 2023
Diaspora and Consular Affairs Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade
21 Dominica Drive,
Telephone: 926 4220
Veterinary Services Division
Ministry of Agriculture
Norman Manley International Airport
Telephone: 924-8077 or 924-8079
The Trade Board Limited
10th Floor Air Jamaica Bldg.
72 Harbour St., Kingston
Telephone : 967-0507 or 967-0674